Iriotec® 7300 pigments for conductible primers, antistatic floorings and conductible coatings
Light-colored or translucent coatings that protect against electrostatic discharge – functional particles of the Iriotec® 7300 Series by EMD Performance Materials are their secret. The pigments can directly be added to the formulation and then permanently discharge electrical charges. They now discreetly protect even light-colored or colored surfaces against uncontrolled discharge and due to their light body color remain in the background – compared to conductive materials based on carbon.
Friction, as it occurs for example when walking across a laminate floor, can build up electrostatic charge. It abruptly discharges within a microsecond when touching grounded parts or objects with unequal charge. This electrostatic discharge (ESD) is often accompanied by a spark or crackling. Current of up to 30,000 volts can be built up – and resemble not only a direct danger for human beings but also an indirect threat through damages in the electronic circuitry or instruments that often only become apparent later on during operation. While on the skin, the discharge is felt starting at about 2,000 volts, with electronic components, 30 volts are sufficient to cause damage, sensitive high-frequency and semiconductor products like microchips and circuit boards can be damaged or even destroyed with less than 5 volts.
Permanent protection against damaging discharge
Conductive pigments are the solution. Iriotec® 7300 pigments by EMD Performance Materials prevent uncontrolled electrostatic discharge: They build up a conductive network in the coating or varnish and electric potential will permanently be discharged from the surface. Due to their translucent properties and their neutral appearance, the pigments allow excellent results in a wide variety of applications and designs: They make decorative and at the same time antistatic coatings of goods and surfaces possible; they enable colorful and light-colored floorings where electrostatic charge can occur; in primers for electrostatic application of plastic components they optically give way to light or colorful coatings.
Pigments of the Iriotec® 7300 series
- lend surfaces permanent antistatic and conductive properties (surface resistance from 104 to 109 ohms)
- develop their conductivity independent of humidity level
- stay inconspicuous due to their light colors and translucency – and offer a great flexibility in coloring and design
- exhibit a high thermal stability (up to 800 Grad Celsius)
- are resistant to acids, alkalines, organic solvents and surfactants due to their high chemical stability
- Get to know our portfolio and the properties of every single pigment group under Products.
- Read about the advantages of these pigments especially for the automobile sector under ESTA primer.
- Find out under Flooring, how these pigments protect human beings and machines.
- Learn more on why attractive design and antistatic properties are no longer mutually exclusive under Translucent Applications.
Are you interested in specific information on our Iriotec® 7300 products or technical application advice? Contact us